As much as I love to travel, long-haul flights across the world can do a real number on your hair and skin. Between jet lag and the difficulty of finding my fave products abroad, it’s not easy to keep a standard beauty routine going.
Fortunately, I’ve fount the perfect in flight routine that helps me look Instagram-ready from Barcelona to Bari and everywhere in between. Here are my in flight essentials for your travel beauty routine!
1. Remove any makeup before your flight. Bring face wipes and remove all your makeup before takeoff. I carry these face wipes with me, and before I board the plane (or even once I’m sitting down) I can easily take my makeup off. Even if I’m not wearing makeup, I make sure to use these wipes to get rid of any grit, grime, and oils that may be on my skin.
I also use them to wipe off my hands before moving to my next couple steps so I’m not adding bacteria/germs onto my skin.
2. Apply a serum with antioxidants – flying exposes you to radiation and this is the best way to combat that! The C Radiance Illuminating Serum is my favorite day time serum and the Rewind Age Control Nectar is my favorite night time serum for those of you who like to fly red eyes! I love these serums because they’re both plant based, vegan, cruelty free, and they actually give visible results! They both contain antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, kakdu plum, which contains 100x more vitamin c than an orange!
3. You can’t hydrate enough! Apply a thick moisturizer or an oil. I use my favorite night cream, Night Haven™ Overnight Age Control Cream and then apply a couple drops of my Rejuveniqe oil to my face! I also rub any excess on my hands and neck! This night cream is super thick and luxurious feeling! And I love this oil! I use it on a daily basis on my face, body, and hair. If you don’t use a facial oil, I highly encourage you to. It is life changing for your skin! It adds an extra layer of hydration to your face and adds nutrients that your skin needs.
4. The area around your eyes needs some love too. Apply a thick eye cream and then use an under eye mask before you land! A good eye cream will reduce the puffiness, hydrate, reduce fine lines, and brighten the eye area. And the under eye mask will make sure you look your best when you get off the plane! I’m OBSESSED with the Eye Smooth Nourishing Eye Cream! its been featured in Forbes, Glamour, and Vogue recently and for good reason! I notice results almost immediately! And as for eye masks, the Wander Beauty Baggage Claim Eye Masks are another of my favorite beauty products!
5. Apply an overnight face mask. They add the extra hydration of a sheet mask but they soak into your skin so you can mask without getting weird looks from other passengers! I like the Jet Lag Mask from Summer Fridays and the Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask from Glow Recipe
6. Bring a thick lip balm and apply throughout the flight. My lips seem to be the first thing to dry out, so I’m constantly reapplying. Plus, if you bring one that has a tint it can double as lipstick and blush when you land!
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Milk Makeup Melatonin Over Night Lip Mask
- Milk Makeup Kush Lip Glaze
- Innis My Lip Balm
- Jouer Cosmetics Essential Lip Enhancer Balm
- Ilia Tinted Lip Conditioner
- Farmacy Honey Butter Beeswax Lip Balm
- Kopari Coconut Lip Glossy
- Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve in a Tube
7. Don’t forget the SPF! LED lights can cause skin damage and if you’re flying during the day you can still be exposed to the sun through any open windows. I’ve recently been using the First Aid Beauty Weightless Liquid Mineral SPF 30 and I’m a big fan because of 1. It uses zinc as SPF, which doesn’t clog your pores and 2. It has a slight tint to it, so it adds a little bit of light coverage.
8. Keep your favorite face mist on hand and give yourself a spritz anytime you start to feel dry. This is a great way to add hydration to your face throughout your plane ride.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Mareo Badescu Facial Spray
- Youth to The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Reishi + Ashwagandha
- Dr. Jart Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Calming Mist
- Saturday Skin Daily Dew Hydrating Essence Mist
9. Your hair is affected by travel too! Before I leave home I do an oil treatment (using my rejuveniqe oil) on my scalp, put my favorite split end mender and leave in conditioner on my ends, and put my hair up in a messy bun! It’ll soak in by the time you get to your destination so all you have to do is brush and go!
10. WATER, WATER, WATER!! Since it’s easy to get dehydrated while flying, try to drink at least 1 cup per hour. I always bring a reusable water bottle to the airport with me, and fill it up before I board!
So there you go! That’s my in-flight travel beauty routine! And check out this article to see how i reset my skin AFTER travel!